Health, Myths, Fraud and the Crisis

Dr Allen Spreen
NorthStar Nutritionals

Scientists from Australia found that vitamin E might play a major role in hampering the development and re-growth of prostate cancer tumours. For the study, Dr Patrick Ling and a team of researchers injected mice with prostate cancer cells. Then, they divided the mice into two groups. They fed one group of mice water fortified with a form of vitamin E called gamma-tocotrienol or y-T3. The other group of mice drank regular water.

Researchers found that 70% of the vitamin E mice never went on to develop prostate cancer tumours, despite being injected with malignant cells. And, yes, the remaining 30% developed prostate cancer. But following surgery, their tumours were far less likely to re-grow or metastaside. On the other hand, tumours formed in 100% of the control group of mice not given vitamin E.

Those incredible results, though tested on mice, show just how powerful vitamin E really is.

According to Dr Ling, “Currently there is no effective treatment for metastatic prostate cancer, because it grows back after conventional therapies in more than 70% of cases. But with [vitamin E3] researchers have found a better way to treat prostate cancer, which has the potential to inhibit recurrence of the disease.”

Dr Ling went on to say that chemo, radiation and hormone therapy fail to cure prostate cancer because they don’t kill the cancer stem cell responsible for the re-growth of tumours. He also believes that y-T3 will also prove effective in suppressing other types of cancer, including breast, colon, liver and stomach.

Dr Ling and his team have a clinical trial with men in the works. I’ll pass on the results as soon as they’re available. In the meantime, keep up the daily regimen of 400IU of vitamin E. Choose only 100% natural vitamin E that contains mixed tocopherols. This will provide provide balanced antioxidant protection. At the very least, the bottle should say it contains d-alpha or D-alpha. Skip any bottle that says it contains Dl-alpha (note the different “Dl” prefix). This means it’s a synthetic, cheap imitation of vitamin E. Plus, it probably won’t contain y-T3.

A word of caution

When adding vitamin E to your regimen, start out with lower amounts and gradually increase your dosage over several weeks. Occasionally the nutrient can be so stimulating to the heart, you can experience a moderate and temporary increase in blood pressure. In addition, vitamin E is a natural anticoagulant. So if you’re currently taking blood thinner meds, I wouldn’t advise adding vitamin E to your regimen.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: